Explore Essaouira is the go-to online resource for finding out all there is to do, see, and experience in the beautiful port town of Essaouira, Morocco. If you’re planning a visit, look no further, as this Essaouira travel blog has you covered.
Perched on the Atlantic coast, just a three hour drive west of Marrakech, Essaouira is one of those places where travellers come for a day or two and end up staying much, much longer.
Whether you’re a young family, retired couple, backpacking student, or solo traveller, here we share what to do in Essaouira, the best hotels in Essaouira, the best restaurants in Essaouira, and lots more information for to get the most out of your visit. We even have self-guided, FREE Essaouira walking tour for to you to follow.
If you’re sitting on the fence about whether Essaouira is worth a visit, then start by reading these 10 reasons to visit Essaouira.
Explore Essaouira ebook£9.45
Explore Essaouira ebook
Updated for 2024, the Explore Essaouira ebook is the only travel guide you need for exploring Essaouira. It is jam packed with inspiration on what to do, where to eat, where to stay, and also includes a step-by-step self-guided walking tour (with photos).
This is a PDF download for use offline and on the go (and ad-free!). Save it to read on the plane to Morocco, download to your phone to follow the self-guided walking tour around the medina, or print it off at home before you leave on your adventures and highlight all the bits you want to remember for your visit.
Start your Essaouira travel research here with these top posts:
Wondering what to do in Essaouira? Whether you’re seeking adventure, or need to relax and unwind, here we provide a detailed guide to all the things to do in Essaouira, so that you can get the most out of your visit. From surfing to souks, we’ve got you covered.
Do you only have one day to spend in Essaouira? Here we provide a comprehensive one day Essaouira itinerary for you to follow so that you can get the most out of your visit.
Two days are a typical length of time in Essaouira for those travelling around Morocco for their holiday. Here we provide a comprehensive itinerary for your two days in Essaouira, and provide inspiration for any extra days you may have up your sleeve.
Whether you’re in search of fresh seafood, a traditional tagine, woodfire pizza, an extensive vegan menu, or even a taste of Asia, with the array of restaurants in Essaouira (including those with rooftop views) you are spoilt for choice, perhaps more so than elsewhere in Morocco.
For those seeking a sprinkling of luxury and convenience for their visit, here we feature the best hotels in Essaouira. A hotel provides a calm and relaxing oasis away from the hustle and bustle, combined with the option of meals cooked for you onsite. This is a holiday after all!
Any worries about visiting Essaouira for a first time can be dissipated with some local knowledge before your arrival. Here we share all the essential travel information you need for visiting Essaouira; from money and tipping, to language and customs, we’ve got you covered.
Essaouira is a relatively compact town and both the traffic-free medina and long stretch of promenade that hugs the sandy beach beckon for a morning or afternoon stroll. Here we have put together a lovely self-guided walking tour for you to follow at your own pace. We take you to the main sites, but also off the beaten track along quieter alleyways.
The chilled out coastal town of Essaouira is perfect for kids with it’s traffic-free Medina, orange juice and crepe stands, and long stretch of sandy beach, complete with a playground and trampolines. And let’s not forget the super fun activities of camel riding, quad biking, and surfing to experience! Plus, Essaouira must be the most pram friendly town in all of Morocco.
Essaouira can be a lovely base for Moroccan adventures further afield. From a 10min to 3hr drive, here we share the best day trips from Essaouira, including Safi, Sidi Kaouki, Taghazout, and even Marrakech.
Latest on Explore Essaouira:
- Getting a SIM card in Essaouira, MoroccoDespite Wi-Fi being available in nearly every Essaouira hotel, riad, café and restaurant, it’s still useful to get a SIM card for your visit to Essaouira. From a connectivity and safety perspective, it makes sense …
- Ride vintage electric bikes through the Essaouira countryside with Lou’s RidesThe countryside around Essaouira is tailor made for exploring on two wheels. Rolling hills, sweeping panoramic views, tarmac roads or well-maintained tracks, Berber villages, and mile upon mile of golden coastline. If you have your …
- The BEST cafes in Essaouira for a decent coffee and bite to eat (2024)Coffee-addicts, we’ve got you covered. Here we feature the best cafes in Essaouira to sip a decent coffee and watch the world go by. One of our favourite things to do in Essaouira is to …
- Getting from Marrakech to Essaouira (2024 updated), including Marrakech airportHere we detail and provide prices for the different ways to get from Marrakech to Essaouira, including using the Supratours or CTM bus, Grand Taxi, and private taxi. We also include the best way to …
- Riad Dar L’Qdima REVIEW: an Essaouira hotel steeped in Jewish historyStaying in a traditional riad is one of the classic Essaouira experiences, giving you the opportunity to sleep in the heart of the medina. Riad Dar L’Qdima is one of the best examples we’ve personally …
- A walk from Diabat to Essaouira cityIf you want to escape the hustle and bustle of Essaouira’s medina, one our personal favourite things to do is to jump in a petit taxi to Diabat (30DH), and walk back to Essaouira past …