Explore Essaouira is the go-to online resource for finding out all there is to do, see, and experience in the beautiful port town of Essaouira, Morocco. If you’re planning a visit, look no further, as this Essaouira travel blog has you covered.
Perched on the Atlantic coast, just a three hour drive west of Marrakech, Essaouira is one of those places where travellers come for a day or two and end up staying much, much longer.
Whether you’re a young family, retired couple, backpacking student, or solo traveller, here we share what to do in Essaouira, the best hotels in Essaouira, the best restaurants in Essaouira, and lots more information for to get the most out of your visit. We even have self-guided, FREE Essaouira walking tour for to you to follow.
If you’re sitting on the fence about whether Essaouira is worth a visit, then start by reading these 10 reasons to visit Essaouira.
Explore Essaouira ebook£9.45
Explore Essaouira ebook
Updated for 2023, the Explore Essaouira ebook is the only travel guide you need for exploring Essaouira. It is jam packed with inspiration on what to do, where to eat, where to stay, and also includes a step-by-step self-guided walking tour (with photos).
This is a PDF download for use offline and on the go (and ad-free!). Save it to read on the plane to Morocco, download to your phone to follow the self-guided walking tour around the medina, or print it off at home before you leave on your adventures and highlight all the bits you want to remember for your visit.
Start your Essaouira travel research here with these top posts:
Wondering what to do in Essaouira? Whether you’re seeking adventure, or need to relax and unwind, here we provide a detailed guide to all the things to do in Essaouira, so that you can get the most out of your visit. From surfing to souks, we’ve got you covered.
Do you only have one day to spend in Essaouira? Here we provide a comprehensive one day Essaouira itinerary for you to follow so that you can get the most out of your visit.
Two days are a typical length of time in Essaouira for those travelling around Morocco for their holiday. Here we provide a comprehensive itinerary for your two days in Essaouira, and provide inspiration for any extra days you may have up your sleeve.
Whether you’re in search of fresh seafood, a traditional tagine, woodfire pizza, an extensive vegan menu, or even a taste of Asia, with the array of restaurants in Essaouira (including those with rooftop views) you are spoilt for choice, perhaps more so than elsewhere in Morocco.
For those seeking a sprinkling of luxury and convenience for their visit, here we feature the best hotels in Essaouira. A hotel provides a calm and relaxing oasis away from the hustle and bustle, combined with the option of meals cooked for you onsite. This is a holiday after all!
Any worries about visiting Essaouira for a first time can be dissipated with some local knowledge before your arrival. Here we share all the essential travel information you need for visiting Essaouira; from money and tipping, to language and customs, we’ve got you covered.
Essaouira is a relatively compact town and both the traffic-free medina and long stretch of promenade that hugs the sandy beach beckon for a morning or afternoon stroll. Here we have put together a lovely self-guided walking tour for you to follow at your own pace. We take you to the main sites, but also off the beaten track along quieter alleyways.
The chilled out coastal town of Essaouira is perfect for kids with it’s traffic-free Medina, orange juice and crepe stands, and long stretch of sandy beach, complete with a playground and trampolines. And let’s not forget the super fun activities of camel riding, quad biking, and surfing to experience! Plus, Essaouira must be the most pram friendly town in all of Morocco.
Essaouira can be a lovely base for Moroccan adventures further afield. From a 10min to 3hr drive, here we share the best day trips from Essaouira, including Safi, Sidi Kaouki, Taghazout, and even Marrakech.
Latest posts on Explore Essaouira:
- Essaouira in December: a Christmas getawayIs December a good time to visit Essaouira? What’s the weather like in Essaouira in December? How busy is it? Does it feel Christmassy? And is it warm enough to swim in the sea? We …
- Essaouira cooking class: a true insight into a local way of lifeSat around Latifa’s family-home kitchen grating a fourth tomato for our vegetarian couscous, I came to realise that this experience was not just about an Essaouira cooking class, this was four women enjoying each other’s …
- Dar Loulema, Essaoiura, REVIEW: a charming riad, but pack the ear plugsThis was my parents’ first visit to Essaouira and I wanted to book them into a classic medina riad in a central location to limit their walking. Staying in a riad introduces a visitor to …
- Nightlife in Essaouira: your guide on where to partyCan you really party in Essaouira? Are there nightclubs in Essaouira? What is Essaouira nightlife really like? Read on as we answer these questions and more. Being a Muslim country, it should come as no …
- Agadir to Essaouira road trip: 5 day itineraryAgadir and Essaouira are two very different coastal towns in Morocco. Whilst Agadir is geared heavily towards the package holiday market, laid-back Essaouira is a bohemian hotspot that oozes history and charm. If you are …
- How to get to Essaouira, MoroccoSo you’ve heard about a relaxing, port town on Morocco’s Atlantic coast, where an easy-to-navigate, ancient medina sits between long stretches of sandy beach, there are epic ocean sunsets, and you can try your hand …