Explore Essaouira is the go-to online resource for finding out all there is to do, see, and experience in the beautiful port town of Essaouira, Morocco. If you’re planning a visit, look no further, as this Essaouira travel blog has you covered.
Perched on the Atlantic coast, just a three hour drive west of Marrakech, Essaouira is one of those places where travellers come for a day or two and end up staying much, much longer.
Whether you’re a young family, retired couple, backpacking student, or solo traveller, here we share what to do in Essaouira, the best hotels in Essaouira, the best restaurants in Essaouira, and lots more information for to get the most out of your visit. We even have self-guided, FREE Essaouira walking tour for to you to follow.
Start your Essaouira travel research here with these top posts:
Wondering what to do in Essaouira? Whether you’re seeking adventure, or need to relax and unwind, here we provide a detailed guide to all the things to do in Essaouira, so that you can get the most out of your visit. From surfing to souks, we’ve got you covered.
Do you only have one day to spend in Essaouira? Here we provide a comprehensive one day Essaouira itinerary for you to follow so that you can get the most out of your visit.
Two days are a typical length of time in Essaouira for those travelling around Morocco for their holiday. Here we provide a comprehensive itinerary for your two days in Essaouira, and provide inspiration for any extra days you may have up your sleeve.
Whether you’re in search of fresh seafood, a traditional tagine, woodfire pizza, an extensive vegan menu, or even a taste of Asia, with the array of restaurants in Essaouira (including those with rooftop views) you are spoilt for choice, perhaps more so than elsewhere in Morocco.
For those seeking a sprinkling of luxury and convenience for their visit, here we feature the best hotels in Essaouira. A hotel provides a calm and relaxing oasis away from the hustle and bustle, combined with the option of meals cooked for you onsite. This is a holiday after all!
Any worries about visiting Essaouira for a first time can be dissipated with some local knowledge before your arrival. Here we share all the essential travel information you need for visiting Essaouira; from money and tipping, to language and customs, we’ve got you covered.
Essaouira is a relatively compact town and both the traffic-free medina and long stretch of promenade that hugs the sandy beach beckon for a morning or afternoon stroll. Here we have put together a lovely self-guided walking tour for you to follow at your own pace. We take you to the main sites, but also off the beaten track along quieter alleyways.
The chilled out coastal town of Essaouira is perfect for kids with it’s traffic-free Medina, orange juice and crepe stands, and long stretch of sandy beach, complete with a playground and trampolines. And let’s not forget the super fun activities of camel riding, quad biking, and surfing to experience! Plus, Essaouira must be the most pram friendly town in all of Morocco.
Essaouira can be a lovely base for Moroccan adventures further afield. From a 10min to 3hr drive, here we share the best day trips from Essaouira, including Safi, Sidi Kaouki, Taghazout, and even Marrakech.
Latest posts on Explore Essaouira:
- Top 6 things to do in Safi, Morocco: from pottery to Portuguese historyRarely on the tourist radar, the coastal town of Safi just a two hour drive north of Essaouira, is famed for its pottery. Indeed, a visit to the Pottery Quarter is one of the top …
- Sidi Kaouki travel guide: everything you need to knowThe sleepy surf town of Sidi Kaouki is one of the easiest day trips from Essaouira. It’s only a 25 minute drive south and also accessible by public bus. And whilst it’s popular with surfers …
- 11 BEST day trips from EssaouiraFrom a short taxi ride out of town to a three hour drive, here we cover the best day trips from Essaouira. There are so many things to do in Essaouira, but if you’re staying …
- Visiting Essaouira in October: is this the best month to visit?Is October a good time to visit Essaouira? What’s the weather like in Essaouira in October? Is it warm enough to sunbathe and swim in the sea? We answer all these questions here and more, …
- Essaouria or Agadir: which is the better place to visit?Trying to decide between Essaouira and Agadir for your Moroccan beach holiday? Read on as we compare the two (Agadir vs Essaouira) and find out which is the better destination for you. If you’re planning …
- Essaouira surf school: learning to surf in MoroccoMorocco’s main surfing town, Essaouira, offers almost-perfect conditions for beginner surfers. Here we chat about what to expect from an Essaouira surf school and share our experience of learning to surf in Morocco. The Atlantic …