Explore Essaouira is the go-to online resource for finding out all there is to do, see, and experience in the beautiful port town of Essaouira, Morocco. If you’re planning a visit, look no further, as this Essaouira travel blog has you covered.
Perched on the Atlantic coast, just a three hour drive west of Marrakech, Essaouira is one of those places where travellers come for a day or two and end up staying much, much longer.
Whether you’re a young family, retired couple, backpacking student, or solo traveller, here we share what to do in Essaouira, the best hotels in Essaouira, the best restaurants in Essaouira, and lots more information for to get the most out of your visit. We even have self-guided, FREE Essaouira walking tour for to you to follow.
Start your Essaouira travel research here with these top posts:
Wondering what to do in Essaouira? Whether you’re seeking adventure, or need to relax and unwind, here we provide a detailed guide to all the things to do in Essaouira, so that you can get the most out of your visit. From surfing to souks, we’ve got you covered.
Do you only have one day to spend in Essaouira? Here we provide a comprehensive one day Essaouira itinerary for you to follow so that you can get the most out of your visit.
Two days are a typical length of time in Essaouira for those travelling around Morocco for their holiday. Here we provide a comprehensive itinerary for your two days in Essaouira, and provide inspiration for any extra days you may have up your sleeve.
Whether you’re in search of fresh seafood, a traditional tagine, woodfire pizza, an extensive vegan menu, or even a taste of Asia, with the array of restaurants in Essaouira (including those with rooftop views) you are spoilt for choice, perhaps more so than elsewhere in Morocco.
For those seeking a sprinkling of luxury and convenience for their visit, here we feature the best hotels in Essaouira. A hotel provides a calm and relaxing oasis away from the hustle and bustle, combined with the option of meals cooked for you onsite. This is a holiday after all!
Any worries about visiting Essaouira for a first time can be dissipated with some local knowledge before your arrival. Here we share all the essential travel information you need for visiting Essaouira; from money and tipping, to language and customs, we’ve got you covered.
Essaouira is a relatively compact town and both the traffic-free medina and long stretch of promenade that hugs the sandy beach beckon for a morning or afternoon stroll. Here we have put together a lovely self-guided walking tour for you to follow at your own pace. We take you to the main sites, but also off the beaten track along quieter alleyways.
The chilled out coastal town of Essaouira is perfect for kids with it’s traffic-free Medina, orange juice and crepe stands, and long stretch of sandy beach, complete with a playground and trampolines. And let’s not forget the super fun activities of camel riding, quad biking, and surfing to experience! Plus, Essaouira must be the most pram friendly town in all of Morocco.
Essaouira can be a lovely base for Moroccan adventures further afield. From a 10min to 3hr drive, here we share the best day trips from Essaouira, including Safi, Sidi Kaouki, Taghazout, and even Marrakech.
Latest posts on Explore Essaouira:
- Camping in Essaouira: wild camping and official campsitesRead on for details of wild camping in Essaouira and Essaouira campsites. A huge thank you to Sarah Steiner from Away With The Steiners for reviews and photos taken during her time adventuring Morocco in …
- Essaouira wine tasting: a visit to Val d’Argan winerySurrounded by succulent orange trees and bright bursts of bougainvillea in the December sunshine, I sipped a crisp white wine and was immediately transported to the Mediterranean. Except this isn’t the French Riviera or the …
- Essaouira Airport: your essential guideEssaouira Airport (known formally as Essaouira Airport Mogador) is the closet airport to Essaouira (15km from the city) and serves both domestic and international flights. This is a very small airport and a much more …
- Palais Des Remparts REVIEW: an Essaouria riad with sea viewsSpacious, airy rooms and incredible roof top views from the medina. Read on for our Palais Des Remparts review. Palais Des Remparts is an authentic 18th century riad nestled in Essaouira medina, close to the …
- Essaouira in December: a Christmas getawayIs December a good time to visit Essaouira? What’s the weather like in Essaouira in December? How busy is it? Does it feel Christmassy? And is it warm enough to swim in the sea? We …
- Had Draa market, Essaouira: one of Morocco’s largest marketsHad Draa market is a fascinating insight into traditional Moroccan life, a feast for the senses, and one of the largest markets in Morocco. Held every Sunday, thousands of locals descend on this sleepy town …